Date Created: 2014
Difficulty Level: Beginner
Time to Complete: 20 minutes
Pricing: $5 +
- 7/8″ black grosgrain ribbon
- 3/8″ black grosgrain ribbon
- 1/8″ black grosgrain ribbon
- 3/8″ Halloween print grosgrain ribbon
Measurements: (and what the pieces are for)
- Cone: 1 1/4″ of 7/8″ black ribbon
- Hat belt: 1 3/4″of 3/8″ Halloween ribbon
- Brim: 2″ of 3/8″ black ribbon
- Bow wrap: 3/4″ of 1/8″ black ribbon
- Mini BowTie : 2″ of 3/8″ Halloween ribbon
- Clip Liner: 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ Halloween ribbon
- Fold 7/8″ ribbon into cone shape and glue folds in.
- Glue hat belt onto cone with slight overlap.
- Round ends of the black brim using lighter, then using slight overlap, glue onto hat belt.
- Determine which way the hat will face, left or right and make bow tie and glue on.
- Attach bow to ribbon lined clip.
Video Tutorial (sorry no sound):
Other Halloween ribbon patterns to consider. Check EBAY for great prices on ribbon.
This is an attempt to catalogue and list all the BIG pinwheels I have made lately. I am always playing with the length of ribbon and sizing to see what I like best, so they are all just slightly different from each other.
Neon Pink & White
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ white made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
- 10″ of 2 1/4″ hot pink made into bow tie
- wrap center with 3/8″ glitter white
Hot Pink & Yellow
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ hot pink made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template
- 8″ of 2 1/4″ yellow made into bow tie
- ribbon lined french clip with 3/8″ hot pink
- wrap center with 3/8″ hot pink
- made to match hot pink & yellow animal print bikini
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ black made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
- used to clip watermelon ribbon sculpture onto it
- (love this simple style to add to my own ponytails)
Tiana Apple Green & Lilac Purple
- 20″ of 2″ lilac purple made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template (yes, not 2 1/4″)
- 14 1/2″ of 7/8″ apple green made into no tails pinwheel on 3″ template
- made to match a darker purple Tiana shirt
Navy & Neon Pink
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ navy made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template
- 8″ of 2 1/4″ neon pink made into bow tie
- made to match “My sister is awesome” t-shirt
Shocking Pink (unfinished)
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ shocking pink made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
Big Red Pinwheel
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ red on 4 1/4″ template
- bow = 4 1/2″ wide
- 9″ of 1 1/2″ white for bow tie on top, next time try 1/2″-1″ less than measurement of underneath bow or previous layer
I think this is the one I put a cute bottle cap on and Kaylin picked as her favorite bow
Popsicle Hair Clip for the 4th of July
I had been wanting to make these all summer long and then finally she put on this shirt and I just had to make a popsicle bow to go with it for her.
So I made 1 to match the shirt and then made 2 other pops with the 4th of July inspiration
Here’s the measurements I used to make them.
- 2″ of 1 1/2″ blue with white stars grosgrain
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ red with white polka dots grosgrain for mini decorative bow
- 1″ 0f 1/8″ white for bow center of mini decorative bow
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ grosgrain for ribbon lined hair clip
- 1/2″ of a popsicle stick, score halfway with blade and then snap in half
Here’s most of how I did it. I left out details on repetitive bow making steps, but you can probably find tutorials on how to do those steps in my other blog posts.
- Cut rounded corners on blue with white stars ribbon. Cut the top corner a bit deeper in than on the bottom curves and then cut a “bite” shape into other top corner. Use a lighter or candle as you seal it to adjust the shape of the “bite” to your liking.
- I cut felt for backing the popsicle to help hold it a bit more rigid so it wasn’t flopping around. I got some very thin sturdier than normal, felt in a double sized sheet at the Hobby Lobby and that worked perfectly. I cut it in about 1/4″ from all edges. Adhere with hot glue.
- Line clip with a color similar to the popsicle stick, i used peach, it was the closest I had.
- Next, decide how long you want your stick to stick out the bottom and glue popsicle stick to pop.
- Be sure to line the clip (what I consider backwards) so that long flat side of the clip is fully lined with ribbon and bent side of clip is closer to the head. Then glue ribbon lined clip to the back of the popsicle stick.
- Finally, make a mini decorative bow and add that to the front. You don’t have to have that bow, but I think they look way cuter that way.
Wear the bow alone, or clip onto another bigger bow 🙂
Stacked pinwheels with no tails and a layer of spikes with bottle cap with a mustache
Pinwheel, 2 stacked no tail pinwheels on spikes with mustache bottle cap
- 12″ of 7/8″ RABOM aqua to make pinwheel with no tails on 2 3/4″ template
- 16″ of 1 1/2″ hot pink to make pinwheel with no tails on 3 1/2″ template
- (2) 5 1/4″ of 1 1/2″ black for spikes
- Mounted on french clip
Pinwheels: with tails, with no tails and bow tie with tails
I wanted to see how the pinwheels came out when I made them with or without tails and how big they would be and how they would look on the clips. Here are a few variations with 5/8″ colored dots grosgrain ribbon.
Pinwheel with tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9 1/2″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ hot pink for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ hot pink for center
- NOTE: I think I’d prefer this pinwheel with tails on a 2″ template instead
Pinwheel with no tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with no tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ fuchsia for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ fuchsia for center
Bow tie with separate tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 4″ for bow tie and 2″ for tails, sewn on separately
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ royal blue for ribbon lined clip
- 4″ of 3/8″ royal blue for center knot
Stacked no tail pinwheels with spikes and bottle cap
- 12″ of 7/8″ black to make no tails pinwheel on 2 3/4″ template
- 16″ of 1 1/2″ white to make no tails pinwheel on 3 1/2″ template
- (2) 5″ of 1 1/2″ shocking pink to make 2 spikes
- Stack bows
- 4-5″ of 3/8″ ribbon for center
- Mounted on french clip
- Top with bottle cap
I didn’t write down very specific notes on this one, so these are all the details that I have.
- 1 1/2″ pink cheetah print grosgrain wrapped around 4″ template for a full pinwheel
- white bottle cap with mounted saying and epoxy dot
- 3/8″ black for center wrap
- mounted on medium french clip
This is a double layer pinwheel with a bottle cap of a pink and purple princess castle.
- 11 1/2″ of 7/8″ shocking pink made into no tails pinwheel on 2 1/2″ bow template
- 16″ of 1 1/2″ light pink made into no tails pinwheel on 3 1/2″ bow template
- stack bows, mount on medium french clip with 3/8″ shocking pink center wrap
- embellish with Princess Castle bottle cap