Date Created: 3/2/17
Difficulty Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Time to Complete: 30 minutes
- all 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon
- choose 3 different colors for the wings of your butterfly
- choose a color for the antennae
- pom poms
- alligator clip
- hot glue
- ruler or measuring tape
Measurements: (and what the pieces are for)
- (4) 3″ for outer wings
- (4) 2.5″ for middle wings
- (4) 2″ for inner wings
- (1) 4.5″ for clip liner
- (1) 1″ cut into 2 for antennae
- (3) large or (5) small pom poms for body
- (1) 1.75″ alligator clip
- Heat seal all pieces of ribbon.
- There a are 4 pieces of each color, or 2 pairs. 1 pair is for each wing. Glue each pair together with a dot of glue at the tips so they form a right angle. Flip it around and do the same thing with the other ends so they form a rounded football shape. Repeat for each pair of ribbons. You should have 6 pair, 2 of each color.
- Next, 1 of the outer wings and 1 of the middle wings and glue the middle one on the back of the outer one, about halfway down from the point. Do the same glueing the inner wings onto the middle wings. Then we change our pattern. Take the other tip of the inner wings and glue it just below the other inner wing that you just glued on. Next glue on the middle wing and finally the other tip of the outer wing.
- Repeat to make a second wing.
- Bring the 2 wings together. I usually snip off the pointed tip, so the wings fit together better. Glue the tips together.
- Glue the wings to the ribbon lined alligator clip.
- Next, make the antennae and glue onto the clip.
- Last, glue on the pom poms.
I LOVE getting outfits for my nieces for their birthdays or holidays, and making hair bows to match. It is so fun to customize the kind of bow I think they would like and then matching the colors and styles. I usually end up with my most creative bows that way, because I’m not afraid to mix and match colors, since I know they obviously will look nice together since they look good on the outfit. The best compliment is then seeing them wear the outfit and matching bows 🙂
3 Layer Butterfly ribbon sculpture hair clip bow
The outfit the butterfly was made to match
All ribbons are 3/8″ grosgrain
- Outer wings: 8″ and 6″ of hot pink
- Middle wings: 7″ and 5″ of yellow
- Inner wings: 6″ and 4″ of apricot
- Antennae: 1″ of aqua to make 2
- Head roll: 2.25″ of aqua – Holding ribbon with alligator clip about one eighth of an inch sticking out of the end, place a dab of glue on that one eighth of an inch and wrap the ribbon around the clip and then secured onto the glue, making a small circle. Wrap around one more time and secured with a dot of glue on the back of the same spot, making a head with two loops.
- Body: 1.25-1.5″ – Fold one end of the ribbon in half and slice a backwards V to make a smaller neck portion. Measure about a half to three-quarters of an inch flat body and then glue the bottom together lengthwise to create a tail. I think it looks better with the tinier body that doesn’t overlap the end of the clip. Keep body more like three quarters of an inch so that it is long enough for the head and antennae to go above the wings.
- Clip liner: 4.5″ of aqua
- Jewel: approx 5mm jewel for body embellishment