Date Created: 6/2016
Difficulty Level: Beginner
Time to Complete:
- 5/8″ grosgrain ribbon (blue with white stars)
- 5/8″ grosgrain ribbon (red)
- 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon (white)
- small clip
Measurements: (and what the pieces are for)
- top half of pinwheel: 4″ of 5/8″ grosgrain ribbon (blue with white stars)
- bottom half of pinwheel: 4″ of 5/8″ grosgrain ribbon (red)
- center wrap: 4″ of 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon (white)
- Fold ribbon as if making a tuxedo bow, but add both ribbons to the needle and thread. Cinch the thread, wrap and tie off, to make a pinwheel.
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is always a kid favorite around the holidays. Here are the measurements I like to use to make my Reindeer Ribbon Sculptures.
Date Created: Winter 2014
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Time to Complete: 30 minutes?
- 3/8″ medium brown grosgrain
- 7/8″ medium brown grosgrain
- 7/8″ dark brown grosgrain
- 3/8″ holiday print
- googly eyes
- red glitter pom pom or red button
- 5-6mm rhinestone or jingle bell
Measurements: (and what the pieces are for)
- Head: 3 1/2″ of 7/8″ medium brown grosgrain
- Ears: (2) 2″ of 3/8″ medium brown grosgrain
- Antlers: (1) 2″ piece of 7/8″ dark brown grosgrain and cut (2) antlers from it
- Reindeer’s Bow: 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ Christmas ribbon
- Eyes: (1) pair 7-8mm googly eyes
- Nose: (1) red glitter pom pom or red button
- Bow Center (optional): (1) 5-6mm rhinestone or jingle bell
- Cut and seal all ribbons, except antlers.
- Fold head piece so that ends meet perpendicularly and glue, pressing down flat.
- Fold ears so that end overlap forming a teardrop shape, repeat for 2nd ear and then glue ears together and very tip.
- Glue ears onto back of head.
- Create a template for the antlers. These will take lots of practice to get them the way you want and take up the majority of time in the project. Once you cut them out, heat sealing them properly is what really gives them the shape. Once I get them even, then glue on the back.
- Tie or sew bow and attach. Embellish with jewel or jingle bell.
- Glue on eyes and nose.
- Glue onto ribbon lined alligator clip.
- Pink bow and pink nose, or pink and green
- Any colors to match dress or outfit
- Mount on pin to wear on outfit
- Mount on magnet for the fridge
- Mount on badge holder to wear to work
- Clip Reindeer clip on to bigger bow or mount directly on bigger bow for more bling
Originally priced at $8 in 2014, but dropped price to $6 in 2015 because I had the materials on hand and I was able to make them faster.
This is an attempt to catalogue and list all the BIG pinwheels I have made lately. I am always playing with the length of ribbon and sizing to see what I like best, so they are all just slightly different from each other.
Neon Pink & White
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ white made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
- 10″ of 2 1/4″ hot pink made into bow tie
- wrap center with 3/8″ glitter white
Hot Pink & Yellow
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ hot pink made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template
- 8″ of 2 1/4″ yellow made into bow tie
- ribbon lined french clip with 3/8″ hot pink
- wrap center with 3/8″ hot pink
- made to match hot pink & yellow animal print bikini
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ black made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
- used to clip watermelon ribbon sculpture onto it
- (love this simple style to add to my own ponytails)
Tiana Apple Green & Lilac Purple
- 20″ of 2″ lilac purple made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template (yes, not 2 1/4″)
- 14 1/2″ of 7/8″ apple green made into no tails pinwheel on 3″ template
- made to match a darker purple Tiana shirt
Navy & Neon Pink
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ navy made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template
- 8″ of 2 1/4″ neon pink made into bow tie
- made to match “My sister is awesome” t-shirt
Shocking Pink (unfinished)
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ shocking pink made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
Big Red Pinwheel
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ red on 4 1/4″ template
- bow = 4 1/2″ wide
- 9″ of 1 1/2″ white for bow tie on top, next time try 1/2″-1″ less than measurement of underneath bow or previous layer
I think this is the one I put a cute bottle cap on and Kaylin picked as her favorite bow
Popsicle Hair Clip for the 4th of July
I had been wanting to make these all summer long and then finally she put on this shirt and I just had to make a popsicle bow to go with it for her.
So I made 1 to match the shirt and then made 2 other pops with the 4th of July inspiration
Here’s the measurements I used to make them.
- 2″ of 1 1/2″ blue with white stars grosgrain
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ red with white polka dots grosgrain for mini decorative bow
- 1″ 0f 1/8″ white for bow center of mini decorative bow
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ grosgrain for ribbon lined hair clip
- 1/2″ of a popsicle stick, score halfway with blade and then snap in half
Here’s most of how I did it. I left out details on repetitive bow making steps, but you can probably find tutorials on how to do those steps in my other blog posts.
- Cut rounded corners on blue with white stars ribbon. Cut the top corner a bit deeper in than on the bottom curves and then cut a “bite” shape into other top corner. Use a lighter or candle as you seal it to adjust the shape of the “bite” to your liking.
- I cut felt for backing the popsicle to help hold it a bit more rigid so it wasn’t flopping around. I got some very thin sturdier than normal, felt in a double sized sheet at the Hobby Lobby and that worked perfectly. I cut it in about 1/4″ from all edges. Adhere with hot glue.
- Line clip with a color similar to the popsicle stick, i used peach, it was the closest I had.
- Next, decide how long you want your stick to stick out the bottom and glue popsicle stick to pop.
- Be sure to line the clip (what I consider backwards) so that long flat side of the clip is fully lined with ribbon and bent side of clip is closer to the head. Then glue ribbon lined clip to the back of the popsicle stick.
- Finally, make a mini decorative bow and add that to the front. You don’t have to have that bow, but I think they look way cuter that way.
Wear the bow alone, or clip onto another bigger bow 🙂
Stacked pinwheels with no tails and a layer of spikes with bottle cap with a mustache
Pinwheel, 2 stacked no tail pinwheels on spikes with mustache bottle cap
- 12″ of 7/8″ RABOM aqua to make pinwheel with no tails on 2 3/4″ template
- 16″ of 1 1/2″ hot pink to make pinwheel with no tails on 3 1/2″ template
- (2) 5 1/4″ of 1 1/2″ black for spikes
- Mounted on french clip
Pinwheels: with tails, with no tails and bow tie with tails
I wanted to see how the pinwheels came out when I made them with or without tails and how big they would be and how they would look on the clips. Here are a few variations with 5/8″ colored dots grosgrain ribbon.
Pinwheel with tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9 1/2″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ hot pink for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ hot pink for center
- NOTE: I think I’d prefer this pinwheel with tails on a 2″ template instead
Pinwheel with no tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with no tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ fuchsia for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ fuchsia for center
Bow tie with separate tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 4″ for bow tie and 2″ for tails, sewn on separately
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ royal blue for ribbon lined clip
- 4″ of 3/8″ royal blue for center knot
Stacked no tail pinwheels with spikes and bottle cap
- 12″ of 7/8″ black to make no tails pinwheel on 2 3/4″ template
- 16″ of 1 1/2″ white to make no tails pinwheel on 3 1/2″ template
- (2) 5″ of 1 1/2″ shocking pink to make 2 spikes
- Stack bows
- 4-5″ of 3/8″ ribbon for center
- Mounted on french clip
- Top with bottle cap
I didn’t write down very specific notes on this one, so these are all the details that I have.
- 1 1/2″ pink cheetah print grosgrain wrapped around 4″ template for a full pinwheel
- white bottle cap with mounted saying and epoxy dot
- 3/8″ black for center wrap
- mounted on medium french clip
This is a double layer pinwheel with a bottle cap of a pink and purple princess castle.
- 11 1/2″ of 7/8″ shocking pink made into no tails pinwheel on 2 1/2″ bow template
- 16″ of 1 1/2″ light pink made into no tails pinwheel on 3 1/2″ bow template
- stack bows, mount on medium french clip with 3/8″ shocking pink center wrap
- embellish with Princess Castle bottle cap
Date Created: 2/26/16
Difficulty Level: Advanced
Time to Complete: 45 minutes
- grosgrain ribbon
- 7/8″ blue
- 1/4″ yellow
- 2 1/4″ yellow
- 3/8″ and 7/8″ or 1″ black
- (2) silver buttons for goggles
- (2) googly eyes
- several black thin rope for hair
- 1.5″ of 7/8″ blue for pants
- (2) 1″ of 1/4″ yellow for arms
- 1.5″ of 2 1/4″ yellow for oval body
- 0.5″-0.75″ black melted smile
- (2) 1/2″ wide black gloves from 7/8″ black
- (2) black feet
- (1) 1.5″ black headband for under goggles