Pinwheel with Tails (7/8″ hot pink)
- 17″ of 7/8″ hot pink ribbon made into pinwheel with tails on 3″ template
- When running threads through, only look at the front and don’t be concerned about the back of the ribbon.
- Thread the needle through two stitches on each piece of ribbon up through the middle just like on a bow tie. That makes for a nice cinch.
- Next did 7/8″ white 16″ long, perfect.
Pinwheel with No Tails (7/8″ periwinkle)
16″ of 7/8″ periwinkle on 2 3/4-3″ template
Pinwheel with Tails (7/8″ orchid)
- 14.5″ of 7/8″ orchid ribbon on 2 3/4″ template
- 40 mm ribbon lined french clip
Date Created: Summer 2016
Difficulty Level: Beginner
Time to Complete: 10-15 minutes
Pricing: $2+ depending on price of ribbon and other materials
- 7/8″ grosgrain ribbon
- 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon
- alligator clip or barrette (30-40mm hair clip, I used a 40mm French clip in this example, but I’ve also used 30-40mm flat rectangular top toothed alligator clips as well.)
- needle and thread
- hot glue
- (2) 6″ pieces of 7/8″ grosgrain, for pinwheel
- (1) 4″ piece of 3/8″ grosgrain, for center wrap
These pinwheels are made with 2 pieces of stitched ribbon using 7/8″ grosgrain, mounted on a 40mm French clip, wrapped with 3/8″ matching grosgrain at the center and measure 2 1/2″ in width at completion.
Fold the 7/8″ ribbons in half and mark the center. Then, 1 ribbon at a time, fold the ribbon like you are going to make a tuxedo bow tie and using the needle and thread, make 2 stitches down the center. Repeat on the 2nd ribbon. Wrap and cinch together neatly. Glue clip on and wrap center.
I’ve made these in every color of 7/8″ ribbon I have, which is about 25 colors. They are such a popular and cute clip and so easy to make. They are much quicker to make and cheaper if you mount them on an alligator clip than a french barrette clip, however, nothing stays in my daughter’s hair unless it is on a french clip. I sell these for $2 at the craft fairs and they go quickly.
Layered Fabric Flower
This fabric flower can be made from tattered circles or flower patterned pieces of fabric folded into quartered pieces. You can use 9 petals of t-shirt material or any pattern or solid cotton fabric. I’ve even tried this with singed satin irregular circles or sheer material.
Use 5 rounded edges on pattern of flower. Fold the piece of material in half and then in half again so it is triangularly shaped. Fold so that they do not line up symmetrically. 5 edges is the trick, I tried 8 bumps the first time and that is too much. After gluing down 4 petals on 1 layer, then make a second layer on top with another 4 petals. Roll the 9th petal for center, snip off the tip so it is not too tall (about 1/8-1/4″) and put puddle of glue in center and push down with finger. Then glue closest edge of outer petals up to the center rolled piece to add dimension.
Video I watched to learn how to do this:
This is an attempt to catalogue and list all the BIG pinwheels I have made lately. I am always playing with the length of ribbon and sizing to see what I like best, so they are all just slightly different from each other.
Neon Pink & White
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ white made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
- 10″ of 2 1/4″ hot pink made into bow tie
- wrap center with 3/8″ glitter white
Hot Pink & Yellow
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ hot pink made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template
- 8″ of 2 1/4″ yellow made into bow tie
- ribbon lined french clip with 3/8″ hot pink
- wrap center with 3/8″ hot pink
- made to match hot pink & yellow animal print bikini
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ black made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
- used to clip watermelon ribbon sculpture onto it
- (love this simple style to add to my own ponytails)
Tiana Apple Green & Lilac Purple
- 20″ of 2″ lilac purple made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template (yes, not 2 1/4″)
- 14 1/2″ of 7/8″ apple green made into no tails pinwheel on 3″ template
- made to match a darker purple Tiana shirt
Navy & Neon Pink
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ navy made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/4″ template
- 8″ of 2 1/4″ neon pink made into bow tie
- made to match “My sister is awesome” t-shirt
Shocking Pink (unfinished)
- 22″ of 2 1/4″ shocking pink made into no tails pinwheel on 4 1/2″ template
Big Red Pinwheel
- 20″ of 2 1/4″ red on 4 1/4″ template
- bow = 4 1/2″ wide
- 9″ of 1 1/2″ white for bow tie on top, next time try 1/2″-1″ less than measurement of underneath bow or previous layer
I think this is the one I put a cute bottle cap on and Kaylin picked as her favorite bow
Pinwheels: with tails, with no tails and bow tie with tails
I wanted to see how the pinwheels came out when I made them with or without tails and how big they would be and how they would look on the clips. Here are a few variations with 5/8″ colored dots grosgrain ribbon.
Pinwheel with tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9 1/2″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ hot pink for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ hot pink for center
- NOTE: I think I’d prefer this pinwheel with tails on a 2″ template instead
Pinwheel with no tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with no tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ fuchsia for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ fuchsia for center
Bow tie with separate tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 4″ for bow tie and 2″ for tails, sewn on separately
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ royal blue for ribbon lined clip
- 4″ of 3/8″ royal blue for center knot
Stacked no tail pinwheels with spikes and bottle cap
- 12″ of 7/8″ black to make no tails pinwheel on 2 3/4″ template
- 16″ of 1 1/2″ white to make no tails pinwheel on 3 1/2″ template
- (2) 5″ of 1 1/2″ shocking pink to make 2 spikes
- Stack bows
- 4-5″ of 3/8″ ribbon for center
- Mounted on french clip
- Top with bottle cap
I didn’t write down very specific notes on this one, so these are all the details that I have.
- 1 1/2″ pink cheetah print grosgrain wrapped around 4″ template for a full pinwheel
- white bottle cap with mounted saying and epoxy dot
- 3/8″ black for center wrap
- mounted on medium french clip