Popsicle Hair Clip for the 4th of July
I had been wanting to make these all summer long and then finally she put on this shirt and I just had to make a popsicle bow to go with it for her.
So I made 1 to match the shirt and then made 2 other pops with the 4th of July inspiration
Here’s the measurements I used to make them.
- 2″ of 1 1/2″ blue with white stars grosgrain
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ red with white polka dots grosgrain for mini decorative bow
- 1″ 0f 1/8″ white for bow center of mini decorative bow
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ grosgrain for ribbon lined hair clip
- 1/2″ of a popsicle stick, score halfway with blade and then snap in half
Here’s most of how I did it. I left out details on repetitive bow making steps, but you can probably find tutorials on how to do those steps in my other blog posts.
- Cut rounded corners on blue with white stars ribbon. Cut the top corner a bit deeper in than on the bottom curves and then cut a “bite” shape into other top corner. Use a lighter or candle as you seal it to adjust the shape of the “bite” to your liking.
- I cut felt for backing the popsicle to help hold it a bit more rigid so it wasn’t flopping around. I got some very thin sturdier than normal, felt in a double sized sheet at the Hobby Lobby and that worked perfectly. I cut it in about 1/4″ from all edges. Adhere with hot glue.
- Line clip with a color similar to the popsicle stick, i used peach, it was the closest I had.
- Next, decide how long you want your stick to stick out the bottom and glue popsicle stick to pop.
- Be sure to line the clip (what I consider backwards) so that long flat side of the clip is fully lined with ribbon and bent side of clip is closer to the head. Then glue ribbon lined clip to the back of the popsicle stick.
- Finally, make a mini decorative bow and add that to the front. You don’t have to have that bow, but I think they look way cuter that way.
Wear the bow alone, or clip onto another bigger bow 🙂
Pinwheels: with tails, with no tails and bow tie with tails
I wanted to see how the pinwheels came out when I made them with or without tails and how big they would be and how they would look on the clips. Here are a few variations with 5/8″ colored dots grosgrain ribbon.
Pinwheel with tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9 1/2″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ hot pink for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ hot pink for center
- NOTE: I think I’d prefer this pinwheel with tails on a 2″ template instead
Pinwheel with no tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 9″ of 5/8″ colored dots ribbon for pinwheel with no tails on 1 3/4″ template
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ fuchsia for ribbon lined clip
- 1 1/2″ of 1/4″ fuchsia for center
Bow tie with separate tails on ribbon lined alligator clip
- 4″ for bow tie and 2″ for tails, sewn on separately
- 4 1/2″ of 3/8″ royal blue for ribbon lined clip
- 4″ of 3/8″ royal blue for center knot
Ribbon Flower, 2 Layer
Inner Layer (3) 6″ of aqua
Outer Layer (3) 8″ of white
I LOVE getting outfits for my nieces for their birthdays or holidays, and making hair bows to match. It is so fun to customize the kind of bow I think they would like and then matching the colors and styles. I usually end up with my most creative bows that way, because I’m not afraid to mix and match colors, since I know they obviously will look nice together since they look good on the outfit. The best compliment is then seeing them wear the outfit and matching bows 🙂
3 Layer Butterfly ribbon sculpture hair clip bow
The outfit the butterfly was made to match
All ribbons are 3/8″ grosgrain
- Outer wings: 8″ and 6″ of hot pink
- Middle wings: 7″ and 5″ of yellow
- Inner wings: 6″ and 4″ of apricot
- Antennae: 1″ of aqua to make 2
- Head roll: 2.25″ of aqua – Holding ribbon with alligator clip about one eighth of an inch sticking out of the end, place a dab of glue on that one eighth of an inch and wrap the ribbon around the clip and then secured onto the glue, making a small circle. Wrap around one more time and secured with a dot of glue on the back of the same spot, making a head with two loops.
- Body: 1.25-1.5″ – Fold one end of the ribbon in half and slice a backwards V to make a smaller neck portion. Measure about a half to three-quarters of an inch flat body and then glue the bottom together lengthwise to create a tail. I think it looks better with the tinier body that doesn’t overlap the end of the clip. Keep body more like three quarters of an inch so that it is long enough for the head and antennae to go above the wings.
- Clip liner: 4.5″ of aqua
- Jewel: approx 5mm jewel for body embellishment
Date Created: 2/26/16
Difficulty Level: Advanced
Time to Complete: 45 minutes
- grosgrain ribbon
- 7/8″ blue
- 1/4″ yellow
- 2 1/4″ yellow
- 3/8″ and 7/8″ or 1″ black
- (2) silver buttons for goggles
- (2) googly eyes
- several black thin rope for hair
- 1.5″ of 7/8″ blue for pants
- (2) 1″ of 1/4″ yellow for arms
- 1.5″ of 2 1/4″ yellow for oval body
- 0.5″-0.75″ black melted smile
- (2) 1/2″ wide black gloves from 7/8″ black
- (2) black feet
- (1) 1.5″ black headband for under goggles