Date Created: 3/2/17
Difficulty Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Time to Complete: 30 minutes
- all 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon
- choose 3 different colors for the wings of your butterfly
- choose a color for the antennae
- pom poms
- alligator clip
- hot glue
- ruler or measuring tape
Measurements: (and what the pieces are for)
- (4) 3″ for outer wings
- (4) 2.5″ for middle wings
- (4) 2″ for inner wings
- (1) 4.5″ for clip liner
- (1) 1″ cut into 2 for antennae
- (3) large or (5) small pom poms for body
- (1) 1.75″ alligator clip
- Heat seal all pieces of ribbon.
- There a are 4 pieces of each color, or 2 pairs. 1 pair is for each wing. Glue each pair together with a dot of glue at the tips so they form a right angle. Flip it around and do the same thing with the other ends so they form a rounded football shape. Repeat for each pair of ribbons. You should have 6 pair, 2 of each color.
- Next, 1 of the outer wings and 1 of the middle wings and glue the middle one on the back of the outer one, about halfway down from the point. Do the same glueing the inner wings onto the middle wings. Then we change our pattern. Take the other tip of the inner wings and glue it just below the other inner wing that you just glued on. Next glue on the middle wing and finally the other tip of the outer wing.
- Repeat to make a second wing.
- Bring the 2 wings together. I usually snip off the pointed tip, so the wings fit together better. Glue the tips together.
- Glue the wings to the ribbon lined alligator clip.
- Next, make the antennae and glue onto the clip.
- Last, glue on the pom poms.
This woven heart can is very versatile, as it can be made with ribbon as shown here, or even as a craft for kids with construction paper. Once complete, it can be placed on a hair clip, or a pin or even a badge reel holder. Here we use 3/8″ wide saddle stitch grosgrain in white with red stitch and red with black stitch.
White with red stitch:
4″ and 4.5″
Red with black stitch:
4″ and 4.5″
For saddle stitch ribbon, I find it easier to stack the layers first before heat sealing the ends. Take the 4″ piece and place it on top of the 4.5″ piece of the same color and adhere together on one end with a dot of glue. Repeat with other color. Then heat seal all ends.
Place glued end on one of the sets on top of the other set on the glued end at a 90 degree angle to each other. Then begin weaving and gluing each step of the way.
I will need to include more detailed pictures later on for these steps.