I am new to sewing, but started sewing my first cloth diapers a few days ago. First I tried a combination pocket/all-in-one, but I wasn’t so happy with the extra material in the back. It was listed as a one-size-fits-all, but it was too big for my 2 month old. The smallest rise setting wouldn’t fit all the fluff in the back inside. So I had to put it on the 2nd rise of snaps, but the belly snaps were either too tight or too loose.
So I moved on to a different pattern, one that a paid for and downloaded. Let me tell you, the Very Baby pattern is by far my absolute favorite diaper ever! And we had tried tons. I had purchased a handful of diapers from a friend that were made by Nana’s Bottoms. So I did some research on her and read that although she uses her own pattern apparently, her diapers and very similar to the Very Baby. So that’s when I decided to give it a try.
The ones I already had were a Medium and fit my little 2 month old perfectly, so I decided to start with that size cause it seems like there is room for him to grow in them. I was surprised at how well I did, being it was only my 2nd diaper ever sewn (and only about my 5th sewing project ever). I was even able to complete the whole diaper in 1 evening (after the kids went to bed.) So I made him another one the next night, and was just as happy. for us they easily took him through a whole morning, his first diaper change of the morning up until another change before nap time 4 hours later. No leaks either and they feel very trim on his bum, not so bulky (and the bulky one always leak.)
Today I decided on a new diaper, I wanted to sew some of my prefolds into fitteds. I tried this tutorial by Arfy. I wasn’t impressed with my own work, very sloppy, but it is much more difficult to keep several layers of cotton flat and straight on the edge than flannel and PUL. So I think I’ll try another prefold-to-fitted tutorial next and we’ll see how it comes out.